Our friend Emily has a beautiful Ontario-made Yurta yurt on the property. It is a generous 225ft2 with three large windows and a dome skylight. It has wool felt insulation and a wood stove. There is a double bed and a single bed, along with a cooler, table, chairs, and storage space. There is solar-powered lighting and a plug for electronics. Outdoor amenities include a picnic table, fire pit, and a sawdust toilet. The yurt is available all four seasons. At the moment there is no shower, but we are working on that. The yurt is on the millpond in the Teeswater, about 400m from the mill, and is a secluded and beautiful private camping space. For simplicity, please bring your own sheets and pillows, however there are blankets you can use.
Yurt rental rates (2 beds): $100/night – go to https://www.hipcamp.com/en-CA/ontario/historic-flour-mill-on-teeswater-river/paisley-mill-yurt
(note, all amounts will have HST added)
Yurt Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do we access the yurt once we arrive? We will email you a few days ahead of time with the code to the lockbox. In that email, you will receive directions to where the yurt is located on the mill property.
What is in the yurt?
For now, the yurt is set up with the basics. We are adding new amenities and supplies regularly. Here is what is available now:
- Basic kitchen supplies (cups, mugs, plates, bowls, cutlery) and a large basin for washing the dishes.
- Two beds: a double and a single.
- A solar powered light – you can likely also charge your phone overnight
- Small table for eating
- A cooler
- Two large jugs with potable water
- Jugs can be refilled from the outdoor tap at the mill (well water) or from the natural artisanal spring in Mildmay
What is included in the outdoor space around in the yurt?
- Firepit with a few seats
- Picnic table
- Access to the trail system that runs through the 30 acres of mill property. Details about the trails will be available in the yurt.
- Access to a canoe and kayak (shared with mill guests)
- Please let us know ahead of time if you’d like to use the canoe or kayak. It is shared with the guests at the mill, so may not always be available.
- Sawdust toilet in a clean outhouse
What is a sawdust toilet?
Our composting toilet system is basic and easy to use. Every time you “do your business,” just put a scoop of sawdust on top. The sawdust prevents the outhouse from smelling. The large toilet bucket will be emptied regularly onto a compost heap. After a while, the stuff from the toilet becomes regular compost. All supplies you need for the toilet and instructions can be found in the outhouse.
What should we bring to stay in the yurt?
While the yurt provides some of the comforts of home, it is important to remember that staying in the yurt is still camping.
- Ice for the cooler
- Sheets, pillows, and towels.
- Whatever you need for outdoor cooking (i.e. camp stove or grill).
- There is a BBQ provided for your use
For an added fee of $25, we can supply sheets and pillows. Just let us know when you book that you will need them.
Can we book the yurt in winter?
Yes, there is a wood stove that can keep the yurt toasty warm. It is very important to note that, if you book the yurt in the winter, you will need to be comfortable running a wood stove and know how to do so safely. Written instructions are provided in the yurt, but the comfort of your stay will depend on your ability to maximize warmth from the woodstove as it will be your only source of heating.
Is there Wi-Fi?
Not at this moment. Unfortunately, the Wi-Fi available at the mill does not reach the yurt. You are welcome to use the mill’s Wi-Fi (password provided in the yurt) when you are within range of it. There is also the option of using data if it is available in your cell phone plan. The cell signal at the yurt is excellent.